U Hartford offers Learning Plus, which although not comprehensive, does offer assistance above and beyond most schools. From the L+ website:
Learning Plus (L+) is the academic support service available to any University of Hartford student who has submitted appropriate documentation showing evidence of a specific learning disability, attention disability, autism spectrum disability, and/or acquired brain injury. Please note that Learning Plus is not a comprehensive program. Service determination is made on a case-by-case basis, depending on semester standing, grade-point average, and course curricula. Learning Plus provides the following types of service:
- Letter of Disclosure: The student and a Learning Plus staff member develop this official document, which identifies the approved accommodations and/or services based upon the student’s disability. The student uses this document to facilitate a dialogue with individual professors to discuss the impact of the student’s disability on his/her performance in a particular course and to request specific accommodations. Letters of Disclosure must be resubmitted each semester.
- Direct Strategies Instruction: First year students make an appointment to work with a Learning Specialist once a week for 45 minutes. Learning Specialists provide various metacognitive skills including time management and organizational strategies, as well as reading comprehension and written expression.
- Returning Students Check-In: Students schedule appointments on alternate weeks to work with a Learning Specialist who will provide monitoring and assistance with organizational strategies.
- Drop-In: Students may access Learning Plus on an “as needed” basis. A student who utilizes “drop-in” hours does not have a regularly assigned Specialist but may work with one when assistance is needed and appointments are available.
- Test Accommodations: Eligible students may qualify for extended time, a scribe or reader, assistive technology, and/or a low-distraction environment. Students must follow the Learning Plus test procedures to be eligible to take tests at Learning Plus.
School-sponsored program: Yes
Counseling: through other campus resources
Social Skills Instruction/Coaching: No
Academic Support: Yes
Application Required: Unclear
Extra Fee: Unclear
If you have additional information about services provided to students with ASD’s at this school, click here. If you want to share your experience with those services, do that by leaving a comment below.