The Sage Colleges offer an online track for students with special needs, particularly those on the spectrum. From the school website:
The Achieve Degree offers a highly supportive environment for students who are academically capable, but socially reluctant to attend college. Social aspects of the learning environment (e.g., how students interact with professors and with each other) may be adjusted to maximize each student’s success, while academic integrity of the program is maintained. The fully online format allows for accommodations that can make college more enjoyable and less stressful for students with particular social and other needs, such as difficulty with executive functioning, organization, time management, and deficits in writing ability.
These accommodations include:
- Small class size: no more than 15 students per class.
- Content delivery in multiple formats to benefit a variety of learning styles.
- Flexibility in assessment and participation modalities.
- One-to-one support from a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) for up to three hours per week, via Skype, telephone, and/or email.
- These mentors work directly with individual students in 1:1 relationships to help students navigate all aspects of their college experience, including administrative (registration, student services), technology (online learning tools, communication tools such as Skype, other necessary computer applications), academic demands (organization, remaining on-task to meet due dates) and social needs (interacting appropriately with instructors and fellow students).
- Specialized training for instructors, along with ongoing support from BCBA mentors who are working directly with the students.
School-sponsored program: Yes
Social Skills Instruction/Coaching: Yes
Academic Support: Yes
Application Required: Yes
Extra Fee: No (it is its own “campus”)
If you have additional information about services provided to students with ASD at this school, click here. If you want to share your experience with those services, do that by leaving a comment below.